Sunday, June 20, 2010

Fun with WORDS brought to you by the Visual Thesaurus and MK

Dear BFCers,




Now for the edification of the cafe’. Fun with WORDS brought to you by the Visual Thesaurus and MK. Great words to toss into conversations:



admantine implacable, not to be appeased or moved by entreaty. Not capable of being swayed or diverted from a course of action; unsusceptible to persuasion



inexorable unyielding, continuous, not moving from its course…similar to admantine



intransigent stubborn, unyielding, not to be persuaded



relentless not yielding, unwilling to relent or change a belief



adamant fixed in opinion, not to be changed in a principle, belief or course of action; convinced, firm in one’s conviction/opinion/belief



unappeasable not to be appeased, steadfast in action or belief particularly as regards restitution, punishment etc.



ineffable indescribable, unspeakable, indefinable, unutterable, unnameable, imtellable; short way of saying, “I don’t have words”



propinquity the property of being close together, proximity



These wondrous words come to you courtesy of THE VISUAL THESAURUS VERSION 3; http://www.visualthesaurus.com/



I wanted to gift you all with these words and to relay what I learned as a child–sometimes, the one right word says much more than an entire paragraph of shorter words



Giggle—ChrisB–I know that you like to tease me about my multi-syllabic words…now you know what those words can do. I just love words and the precision that they can be wielded with when one knows enough of them. It is sort of like building a mosaic with tiles of many different-sized tiles. The many sizes and shapes permit a more precise picture to be drawn just like many smaller pixels permit smoother lines on a computer screen.



Anyway, yay for words! I know that you all will love the visual thesaurus. I also recommend another book that an acquaintance told me about years ago: THE WORD MENU. It has words organized by the topic that they are associated with.



Anyway, I am off to do some research and get my son’s stuff finished.



Take care.



MK

No comments: